Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Definition of Liberalism

According to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, a Liberal is defined as the following:

Lib"er*al\, n. One who favors greater freedom in political or religious matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer.

If that is the case, then I am one. Except once again I take issue with the relation to status quo, by being intrinsically "an opponent of established systems," because that depends on what the established system is like. I do like the term "reformer," though, because it implies so much more meaning and purpose than just "change."

So if I'm trying to conserve the principles upon which our nation was founded - for the purpose of greater freedom in political matters - can I be rightly called a Conservative Liberal?

On the other hand, I think most modern conservatives today (myself included) would agree that the modern political label of "Liberal" often means anything but greater freedom... and of course, "Conservative" means much more than maintaining the established system.

Maybe we need to come up with some new labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment